I didn't realize some things were that complicated!
We haven't had our discussion in class yet, but I'm still not sure how I feel about hiring older people. I think I feel this way because of the precedents set.
I did not think the first article was completely valid. It probably is for the most part, but it will not be true 100% of the time. I feel that qualified young applicants are still capable of most of the qualities mentioned in the first article. On the other hand, I know some older people who violates some of the qualities mentioned in the article. This is especially true for those who feel that respect does not have to be earned, but rather, comes only with age.
As far as being a role model, wouldn't it create an awkward atmosphere if you have one older employee (a new hire) amongst a bunch of young employees? That actually might create some tension.
I did not realize the labor costs are reduced before reading the article. That might not necessarily balance out the negatives if there are negatives though.
I do believe though that a great benefit of older workers is that they are less likely to "job hop." But then again, this isn't necessarily true each and every time.
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment