Saturday, December 1, 2007

Proficiency exams at work.

I hate tests. I know that tests are an everyday part of life, but they do not always accurately reflect the knowledge of the test taker. Anything can influence how we feel on any given day, and I don't agree with the way that some of the tests are designed.

After saying all of this, I had to take a proficiency exam for my job recently. I don't have a problem with this in the general sense because I know that it is required as part of evaluating my position. What I don't like, is that the test is clearly not designed for my department or position.

I work in the billing department at a hospital. I don't interact with patients, doctors or nurses. The proficiency exam was geared toward people who deal with patients, or are doctors or nurses. The questions on this exam were totally irrelevant to my position. I wish the exam had questions that applied to me. Maybe then I wouldn't hate these exams so much.

No comments: