Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Big Mistake is Quite Embarassing

One of the most valuable things that I have learned about business is to be careful and PROOFREAD what you are writing before you hit the send button in e-mail. I remember, I was working at Ukrop's as a pharmacy tech and I didn't do this. We had a floater (relief) pharmacist at our store filling in for our pharmacy manager and there was a problem with a customer that she had been trying to handle. Once our pharmacy manager came back, we had a question about what the situation was and needed to get in touch with her. Unfortunately, when you're a floater pharmacist you're never at the same store and it's sometimes virtually impossible to catch up with them. I decided I was going to send out a mass e-mail asking her to call the store. I started the e-mail and put the subject as, ____ please call store 499 ASAP. I then wrote in size 24 font in the body of the e-mail Bitch please call store 299 ASAP. I never looked over the e-mail and hit send. I should have written, Bich please call store 499 ASAP as this was her name, not Bitch.

When we got the e-mail ourselves, I realized that I had made the mistake and about fell out in the floor. I wanted to die laughing because of the stupid mistake, but then again I didn't think that would be very appropiate. Needless to say, I got MANY responses from this e-mail including from the pharmacy supervisor. Luckily, everyone had a sense of humor and just shrugged it off, but I was quite embarassed.

I ultimately learned that I need to double check everything before hitting the send e-mail button. From this experience, I learned that I need to slow down and take my time and think before doing anything. I'm just fortunate that everyone laughed about the situation, because I was beginning to wonder if I was going to have a job afterwards. I can tell you now that I really concentrate and take my time before sending out things like that now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA WOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

What was her reaction??? Or was she just like "oh it happens all the time?"

Gigi said...

That was a very funny, yet embarassing story. I actually do that all the time when it comes to leaving out letters while spelling a word. The great thing is you learned from this situation and was able to move on without compromising your career.