Tuesday, November 27, 2007

How do you want to be greeted?

There is a large debate going on in the business world about whether or not customers should be greeted with “Happy Holidays” or “Merry Christmas”. It has been said that the amount of money a consumer spends in a store depends on which of the two greetings they receive. Personally, I don’t pay much attention to that. They interviewed some people on the news and I found it interesting that most people actually had a preference as to which one they preferred. One person said they prefer “Happy Holidays” because it refers to the holiday season, not just Christmas, which is only one day.

How many of you pay attention to which of the two greetings you receive and do you actually tailor the amount of money you spend to the greeting that you received? Which greeting would you prefer?

2 comments:

Jason said...

I have to watch what greeting I use at my place of employment because there are so many people who don't celebrate Christmas. I've gone with the standard Happy Holidays because it covers all the holidays during this time of year.

Gigi said...

I never really thought about it. I don't care as long as somebody says happy something or enjoy your holidays. I guess it does get touchy when you have celebrations such as Kwanzaa or Chanukka or Christmas or New Years or whatever. It just gets out of control.