Saturday, October 13, 2007

Favorite Grammar Symbol Entry

I am wondering what my favorite grammar symbol is. Actually, was that sentence I just typed incorrect? It ended with 'is'. Someone please tell me! Or maybe I can ask Meriah in class.

Anyway, back to my favorite grammar symbol. That is a hard decision! I like almost all grammar symbols! They all have meaning and are very significant in their own ways. So actually, I am going to conclude that I cannot choose. I think I will pick the period. Because it's the shape of a sliced piece of pickle.

I wonder why, unlike the Spanish, we do not precede our sentences with the question mark or the exclamation mark. I wonder if it's because we do have question words such as what and who. The what and who words precede the reader that it will be a question sentence in the end. But what about the exclamation mark? That would be nice to prepare the reader. If one is reading something brand new out loud, it'd be nice to know that the sentence will be an exclamation sentence so you can prepare your voice according, whether it be surprised, shocked, scared, whatever.

Remember when you were little and looking at the clouds and pretending the clouds made images of random things like elephants, etc? How many of you have seen a comma cloud?

Hey, someone should be an exclamation mark for Halloween!!

No comments: