Monday, October 15, 2007

This was supposed to be a comment to the entry below, but it ended up being long so I’ll turn it into a post.

I think I’ll start out by saying that at times I actually dread calling into a company for questions/comments just because I dread having to deal with their automated system. Automated systems are not good when they cause such an effect on customers.

With that said, I am obviously not a fan of the automated system because sometimes they just become too much of a complex maze and you become stuck in the call with no way to transfer out.

And then, that eventually amounts to disconnection.

At times, I’d finally have the system transfer me to the correct department, but they installed the wrong number into the system to dial or something, so that also amounts to nothing in the end and almost as bad as disconnection.

Other times, you are actually stuck on one prompt (b/c the system cannot understand you) and they will not move you forward! At times, I’d actually have to compromise in saying I live in Goochland just to get through that ridiculous process! And then when you actually get to a person, they ask for that same information all over again that you’ve already given to the automated message system (i.e. phone number, county, etc. etc. )….so what was the point of giving it to the automated system in the first place and stalling time? Also, OMG when the automated system starts to respell everything because the automated system is a SLOW speller.

Of course, all these apply when the automated system is implemented incorrectly. However, even with a correctly implemented automated system, I still prefer to speak with an actual person because the automated system essentially gives you general information. Almost each and everytime I am calling, I have very specific questions (unless the general stuff cannot be found on their websites/brochures/pamphlets/letters/etc.) so the automated system is no help to me there. In terms of when I need a reading of my balance, I usually can check that online. If I am calling in purpose, I usually will be following up afterwards with specific inquiries related. So again, the automated system is of no help there.

Also, being able to speak to an actual person is just traditional. It’s one of those things that shouldn’t disappear from the future. For example, I don’t think we can ever go COMPLETELY paperless because some things are just better to read and handle on paper despite great technological advances.

I’ve called in companies before where there is no automated system, and seriously it takes less than a minute in those experiences to be transferred. However, if there was an automated system, it’ll usually take at least a minute or more before you are actually transferred to the right place.

Also, I recommend companies to limit options to 3 at a time.

Also, it may be important to note that my experience with the automated system has usually been with internet and phone service and of similar companies, not stores/small offices (where the inquiries are much more simpler and therefore the automated system works efficiently) and movie theaters for listing.

No comments: