Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Customer Service

The other day I was at work and had a lady come through our drive thru and want to purchase Plan B (the morning after pill). This is now over the counter and available with out a prescription to anyone over the age of 18; however, we have to see a state issued ID in order to sell it. I told the customer in drive thru that it was our policy that we do not sell over the counter items through the drive thru. She got very upset with me and squealed tires out of the drive thru. I thought she was just pissed and wasn't going to come back.

About five minutes later, the woman showed up inside with her nasty attitude. I was beginning to wait on her and asked her for a photo ID. She said to me, "Why do you need that, do I look like I'm under 18?" I said, "Ma'am, I'm sorry but it is law that I have to check your ID if you look under 40. It's just like when you purchase tobacco or alcohol." She then commented to me that she had purchased the pill several times before and had never been carded or required to come inside of the pharmacy. I once again explained that policy was we had to sell it in the store and have a photo ID. She threw her ID at me and said does it look like I'm under 40? By this time, I was really frustrated and told her that when I card most people they are appreciative because it makes them feel younger. She then demanded to know who's policy was it and what I was going to do to change it. I told her that it was our store's policy and it wouldn't be changed because we are following the law. She then began to cuss and threaten to call corporate on me and have them take my job away. I politely said, "Ma'am if you would like to file a former complaint you can call 1-800-289-5463. They will be able to take your concern down. " I then thanked her and told her to have a great day.

As she was leaving the store, we heard her cussing all the way out the door. My co-workers turned around and I were like I can't believe you gave her the complaint line. I said I'm not worried, I was doing my job by following the law. I then laughed and said, since she really is over 40 maybe she should use a little more commen sense and she wouldn't need to purchase the plan B as often as she does. I'm sure when she called the complaint line they got her information and were going to send her a $25 gift card, but I don't care. I am following the law and if she doesn't like it then she can take her business else where. I was proud of myself for not overly going off like I sometimes do. I have learned to kill these asses with words of kindness! Just remember, treat others like you want to be treated!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"By this time, I was really frustrated and told her that when I card most people they are appreciative because it makes them feel younger."

LOL!

"I then thanked her and told her to have a great day." [and the words of kindness stuff]

It works every time!

Gigi said...

I think this is an excellent post. It brings up two issues. If you are in a business where you sell something over the counter which basically means without a prescription. People feel like they are being watched when they have to show identification to make an supposedly annonymous purchase. The other thing is the customer is not always right. She was nasty and I feel like you did a great job handling that situation.